The Fishbone Gasket is an advanced Metallic Gasket. It has a lower leak rate when compared to standard spiral wound gaskets and reduces emissions making it an environmentally friendly sealing solution. If your organisation is serious about delivering on its ESG obligations, the Fishbone will help you on your journey at a reasonable cost by replacing the higher emissions allowed by the spiral wound and camprofile gasket.
The Fishbone has the lowest leak rate of any gasket ever tested (1,000,000 times lower leakage then TA-LUFT Test limit and 25 times lower leakage than CFET Test limit) and the only gasket on the market that is designed to adapted to pressure changes in your system without live loading/Disc springs.
If you are looking to reduce leaks, reduce fugitive emissions and improve the green rating of your facility, the Fishbone Gasket is the only technology available to replace the spiral wound and camprofile gaskets to meet these objectives.
Examples of areas of your facility where it can be used:
The Fishbone’s Unique Features
- Specially configured graphite coated (or PTFE coated) round edged beveled metal ribs when compressed create separate sealing chambers that breakdown system pressure across the gasket face. The sealing element covering the rib tip also becomes more densified creating an alternating sequence of sealing chambers with “safety or back up” seals of densified sealing material at the point of contact between the rib and flange face.
- The thickness and angle of the round edged beveled ribs- theoretically designed but validated and improved through an iterative trial and error process- create a “bending moment” under bolt load that compresses and stresses the graphite. The “bending moment” also provides a self-energizing effect which effectively creates an internal “Live loading” system.
- An internal rounded stop-step, which is integral to the design, provides a positive stop thus preventing over stressing of the ribs and the graphite sealing element. The stop-step insures that the ribs remain elastic and functioning in their self-energizing capacity because it prevents them from being stressed beyond their elastic limit. The same is true for the graphite sealing element. The ribs, stop-step and graphite sealing element perform as an integrated system to insure maximum sealing performance under bolt load.
- The terminal ID beveled ribs also provide an elastic element that can be energized by the system pressure helping to create a tighter seal.
Fisbone Gasket vs Spiral Wound Gasket (SWG)
- Being a fully CNC machined solid piece of metal, the gasket does not have the typical issue of unwinding like SWGs
- Unlike SWGs and Kamprofile gaskets which have sharp metal surfaces, all surfaces on the Fishbone gasket are rounded to avoid the possibility of flange damage
- Internally self-energized and by fluid pressure for better sealing performance than SWGs
- Interchangeable with all spiral wound gaskets and Camprofile gaskets making an effective low cost substitute
- The Fishbone prevents over compression of sealing element